Saturday, July 17, 2010

31.6


miles that is. That is what I accomplished today in a small, unplanned kiteboarding training run on Turnagain Arm. With the wind building, several of us were having a great session on 20 mile river. Towards the end of the day the wind was still blowing, so myself and three other kiters decided to do a 'downwinder'. My goal, go as far as the wind was still blowing. I did. Two kiters dropped off at Peterson Creek. The other dropped off in Girdwood. The problem with Turnagain Arm is it can turn into one of the most precarious places to be, without warning. This day did not disappoint. Several miles from shore the wind quit. I found myself with a kite in the water, swimming towards shore, impossibly far away, getting swept with an outgoing current...wondering how I got into this predicament and more importantly, how was I going to get out? Well, I did make it out. After about 45 minutes of swimming the wind started blowing in the opposite direction and I was able to get the kite back in the air long enough to get to a big sand bar in the middle of the Arm. I then walked the last mile back to Bird Creek and the highway. Fortunately SuperDave was there happy to see me and pick me up. GPS says 31.6 miles. Quite probably the longest anyone has kited on Turnagain Arm......there's a good reason for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment