Thursday, August 20, 2009

Icebergs and a Million Dollar Bridge


During one fine soggy weekend in Cordova with flooded rivers and roadways. My friend Tracy and I rode our motorbikes as far as we could past the Million Dollar Bridge. In a torrential downpour and a rising river, I inflated my packraft and set out down the Copper River. This fast moving river is carrying some serious volume, not to mention some amazing icebergs that had calved off the Miles Glacier. Just before reaching the Million Dollar Bridge I hoped on an ice berg and rode it under the bridge towards the Childs glacier. The Copper passes this glacier in a convolution of eddys, icebergs, and frightening current. I put everything I had into paddling to make it all the way across the river back to the 'safe' shoreline without being pushed into the face of the glacier. A wild, wild experience like none other.

No comments:

Post a Comment