Sunday, July 26, 2009

Deep into Peters Creek


After studying the ridge that runs east, deep into the Chugach above Peters Creek, I finally got around to tackling the ridge. For the first time in my life I wondered if I had the fortitude to pull this hike off in a single day. None the less I set out under overcast skies and hit peak after peak after peak along the ridge line that runs to the head of Peters Creek valley. Just before the last two peaks, the weather came in and clouds obscured the ridge line I'd hope to continue on. Dropping down into the valley I felt my way up the old hunters trail that is horribly overgrown. At the head of the valley I headed south into an unnamed bowl that would take me over the first of two passes that would drop me down into Ram Valley. After a frigid river crossing, vertical runouts getting off the first pass, and much of the same, I stumbled down Ram Valley in the pouring rain. After 14 hours on the trail I am just happy that my body still does what I ask it to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment